Well 2020 is certainly having her way with us. As writers, lockdown sounds pretty heavenly actually. What? We have to stay home and write? Okay… if we really have to.
However, COVID 19 is real and we have to do our best to protect ourselves and our loved ones and communities. The best way to do this is to stay healthy ourselves!
So here are my 5 EASY WAYS to do just that.
- Humming Breath – this is a simple yogic breath that stimulates your immune system, calms your mind and lowers stress levels. Yes! All that. Humming stimulates the Vagus Nerve
You can read all about the importance of keeping this important nerve healthy and toned in my article for UPLIFT Connect.
To do humming breath all you have to do is to sit comfortably and breathe in as normal then as you breathe out – HUM! That’s it. Breathe in and hum out. Breathe in and hum out. You can vary the tone from low to high, or stay in one tone where it feels comfortable. As you’re humming feel the vibrations the hum makes in the centre of your chest, at the base of your throat and at your third eye. Do this for at least 5 minutes, then just sit for a while afterwards, noticing the echoes of the vibrations in those three places.
Here’s a video to show you how it’s done.
If that’s too way out for you, just sing 🙂 It has the same affect.
- Go outside! Here in Brisbane we’re still only practising social distancing so it’s safe to go out for a walk in nature (just keep away from other people). Even if you’re in total lockdown step out onto your balcony, or sit next to a window where the sun pours in. Get that sun all over you. Outside, put your bare feet on grass, hug a tree. Soak up some sunshine and turn your focus to all the small and large beauties of our precious Earth. The world is still beautiful. Get out and enjoy it, lift your spirits. Here’s a silly walking song to sing as you go. The Brady Bunch singing “Sunshine Day”.
- And in the same vein – DANCE! Put on some happy music that you just can’t stay still to and get your groove on. Exercise and joy all rolled into one. Enjoying yourself isn’t forbidden. Clear the loungeroom and get dancing. For me you just can’t beat KC and the Sunshine Band for a happy dance song.
- Eat well. Make yourself some chicken soup the old-fashioned way with bones.
Eat lots of greens and zinc rich foods, eggs and cheese and nuts. Drink lots of ginger tea and hot lemon. Sit at a table and eat with people you love. Let’s use this forced isolation to reconnect with those closest to us. If you don’t live with anyone, call someone and have a chat while you’re eating.
- Stay positive with Affirmations. Louise Hay’s book You Can Heal Your Life
did just that for me.
From the depths of despair living in Sydney’s Kings Cross, this book took me to a garden filled with sweet-peas and then my first ever overseas holiday. Affirmations can work miracles in your life.
The affirmation we all need to be saying right now is this:
From this situation only good will come. It is easily resolved for the highest good and happiness of all. I am safe and all is well.
Whenever you start feeling anxious about this whole big mess, start repeating it over and over. Thank you Louise.
I am confident that good is on its way. Perhaps the whole world needs this huge horrible wake-up call to force us to restructure our societies so that they work for ALL of humanity, not just the rich. So that we can all work together for the healing of our planet and the protection of our most vulnerable and our animals. YES!
In other news, in light of this strange situation we all find ourselves in, I’ve had to postpone my March retreat. Magnetic Island in June (19 – 21/2020) may still go ahead, but probably not. I’ll keep you posted.
Stay healthy and strong. Keep smiling and keep writing and let me know what other ways you know about to boost immunity.
Lots of love,