Here’s my pick for great gifts for the writer in your life – or as a special treat for yourself if you’re the one scribbling away like a fury.
1. The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron.
I recommend this book to just about everyone I meet. It was the book that got me finally acting towards my long-held dream of being a writer. It’s practical, uplifting and guaranteed to get you writing or painting or dancing – or whatever creative pursuit brings you joy.
2. A room with a door that closes – or at the very least a screen to close off a corner of another room. That’s what I have, and it works just fine. Writers need a space of their own and plenty of privacy – we often do quite crazy things when we’re writing, and it can scare other people!
3. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott – another wonderful book about the writing life that’s written with humour and understanding of the ups and downs of the hard yakka of getting stories written.
4. Stationery. It doesn’t have to be fancy leather-bound journals or gold-plated pens – though they’re really glorious, but simple journals and pens and coloured pencils and all sorts of paper and writing tools usually make writers drool. We sometimes just hang out in Officeworks fondling nicely bound notebooks.
5. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert – this is the most recent edition to my collection of books to uplift my writing sprit when battling an onslaught of rejections. By the author who wrote Eat Pray Love this book makes you believe in the magic of writing.
6. A new laptop – that’s if you’re very flash with cash. The writer in your life will love you forever.
8. For the more old-fashioned writer – a thesaurus or dictionary or reference book on myths or fairy tales in hard copy.
9. A book by your writer’s favourite author – or perhaps the collected works. You can get Penguin classics at very reasonable prices these days, so you could buy a few master works to inspire great writing.
10. A retreat – shout your writer to a week or a weekend away to nurture their creative spirit and network with other writing folk. Retreats range in price and duration from luxurious weeks in Fiji to retreats like mine coming up in Toowoomba where the accommodation isn’t posh, but the creativity, fun and camaraderie is real. Check out the fancy retreats here and dream on!!
Which leads me to the grand announcement –
Are you ready for more? It’s Relax and Write 4!
Dates and venue are now locked in for the next retreat:
WHEN? 26 – 28th APRIL 2019
WHERE? Camp Koojarewon in the mountains just north of Toowoomba in Highfields.
WHAT? – a combined yoga and writing retreat for women.
The program includes four writing workshops covering the basics of setting, character and structure with lots of writing activities and deep relaxation to help quiet the inner critic and free your imagination.
It also includes two gentle morning yoga sessions suitable for even the creakiest bodies – focusing on breathing and calming the mind, with every posture adjusted to your individual needs (you can do it on a chair if you like). There’s also plenty of quiet time to do your own writing, explore the surroundings, or just catch up on some shut-eye.
Plus ALL MEALS! In fact, the lovely folk at Koojarewon are planning to stuff us like pate geese with delicious vegetarian meals, as well as morning and afternoons teas and even suppers!
WHY? Because writers usually work alone and empty out their tanks of inspiration and determination. A retreat like this one is perfect for renewing your love of writing, and life, and for connecting you with kindred spirits and new writing buddies.
HOW MUCH? For two nights’ rustic accommodation and all meals, plus all workshops and yoga classes only $400!
And, if you’re very clever and pay your deposit before the 8th March it’s only $360 early bird price.
HOW? By clicking HERE and filling in the form for more information.
Bring a friend or make new friends when you come. A warm welcome awaits you.
I’d really love to have you along. Treat yourself to a retreat for Christmas – you’ll have lots of fun!
Wishing you all a fabulous festive season and the best year yet in 2019!